Friday, September 17, 2010

Two in the bush

You know, I don't really think that a bird in the hand IS worth two in the bush. 



Better to have a hand open to endless possibilities, and a world filled with birdsong.


Better to be on a journey toward a hopeful destination than clinging to what one has, grasping to keep it, regardless of what else the world might hold for you if you could let go.


A shy pileated woodpecker in our woods, which in my opinion is worth more than, oh, a sparrow in the hand. 
Even if there's not TWO of them.




If I had the choice to win $1000 in the lottery, but would have to forgo any future chance of winning the big jackpot, I wouldn't want it.  I play rarely, but what I'm buying into is the idea that something of legendary proportions could happen. 

I buy into that idea in life. 

There are great things out there, better than what's in your hand right now.  I don't mean to say I'm constantly longing for something I don't have, but that you can be both happy with what you have and where you are, and also open to all of the other, wondrous possibilities the world has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment